Thursday, September 13, 2012

37 Candles



I celebrated my 37th birthday last weekend.  I made a promise to myself that I would forgo any expectations as to how the day would evolve and just let it happen.  It was a beautiful day and I was embraced by loving friends and family.  There weren’t any parades or fanfare when I came into this world and it would be pretty silly to expect them now.

My, how much I’ve grown, how much I’ve changed, how much I’ve lived….

And yet there’s still so much more ahead.

While preparing to write this post, I came across the lululemon manifesto and was drawn to the part that read,

“This is not your practice life.
This is all there is.”

I let that resonate with me for a while and recalled times in my life when I’ve wished for a second “take”.  I promptly negotiated with the universe to give me another chance each time I had either missed an opportunity or had a less than favorable outcome to a situation.  More often than not things usually turned out to my liking but one of my biggest fears has always been taking these “do over’s” for granted and running out when I need one the most. 

A lot of thought and deep introspection revealed to me that my dependency on second chances is born from a feeling of uncertainty.  I’m finally starting to understand that:

We all learned to walk in order to get places.  Learning to confidently make choices and move forward in life shouldn’t be any different.

Just take it one step at a time.

Richard Bach once said, "We teach best what we most need to learn." and I am certainly not exempt.  Throughout the year one of my greatest wishes is to live life in a way that allows me to be open. 

Open to joy. 
Open to pain.
Open to change.
Open to success.
Open to the mistakes that I will inevitably make and
Open to the process.

With that said, I close my eyes and blow out 37 candles.

Until next time…..

No comments:

Post a Comment