Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Who Wants to Get Naked?

I thought that might get your attention.

I’m sitting at my desk listening to the soulful ballads of the incomparable Amy Winehouse while thinking about the long way that I’ve come in my life and how much further I want to go.  Some of my greatest lessons to date have been uncomfortable, liberating, empowering and rewarding - I wouldn’t change a thing. 

My pursuit to take life to the next level has been a slow and steady progression which has required me to peel back layers that have covered me up for years. When you live in a shell of yourself it's only a matter of time before cracks start to show in the veneer and when that happens, it's time to get naked.

Naked:
 ·  Being without addition, concealment, disguise, or embellishment


My desire to reveal more of myself was born from an inherent need to better understand the mechanics of who I am (I’m a bit of a late-bloomer but better now than never…).  There’s nothing more embarrassing than when someone asks you simple questions about yourself and you stammer for an answer.  Here are a few of my faves:

What are three things that no one knows about you?
What are your biggest quirks?
Who has made the biggest impact on your life and why?
What do you consider to be your sexiest trait?

For the sake of personal sanity and development I made a choice to enrol in Me University.  In an effort to fully appreciate, accept and celebrate the woman that I’ve had the good fortune of becoming, I’ve embarked on the path to master the Art of Getting Naked.  Here's a bit of what I've learned:

Getting naked (in the context of this post) isn’t all sunshine and roses – Having all of your “not-so-great” qualities glaring and in your face can cause a different kind of pain. It requires you to call yourself out on some B.S.  about yourself that you neatly tucked away somewhere in the recesses of your mind.  While becoming up-close and personal with myself I’ve discovered that I’m a control freak, an all or nothing kind of a girl, a tad impulsive and often sensitive to a fault (just to name a few).  Instead of picking myself apart about what could be perceived as shortcomings, I’m choosing to love the fact that I’m imperfect.  Taking things a bit less seriously has dialled down a lot of the self-imposed stress in my life.

Getting naked is liberating – Imagine wearing a fur coat outside during a heat wave (ughh… I know!).  Now imagine taking it off and letting your skin finally breathe.  Feels good, right?  You probably wouldn’t even care who was looking at you because carrying around that massive bulk was making you miserable. I couldn’t agree more. Shrouding myself in the expectations of others and under my own confining ideals of who I thought I should be was bringing me down.  Showing more of who I am at heart has started to attract people and circumstances into my life that align with where I’m going.  It feels pretty damn good…

Getting naked is empowering – Eleanor Roosevelt said it best when she said, “No one can make you feel bad about yourself without your consent.”  Vulnerability kicks into high gear when you care too much about what people think and say or whethe they'll accept you once they know who you really are.  Strength is derived from knowing who you are and embracing it.  The people worth knowing will find you, I promise.

Getting naked is rewarding – When you work at it consistently enough, peeling back layers has a multitude of benefits - for yourself and others!  You may choose to start living your life a bit differently based on the things that you learn or you just might inspire someone to look within themselves simply based on the positive changes that they’ve seen from all your work.  The greatest gift for me has been the increase in my confidence.  I’m working hard and learning what I’m capable of in so many different ways.  You can’t buy that kind of self-assurance. 

I’ll wrap this up by saying that the heart and soul of me has always been around.  Those who have known and loved me for the better part of my life have seen it glimmer under the surface of self-doubt from time to time.

I can’t wait to show them what I’ve learned….


Until next time, friends.


2 comments:

  1. I hope someday to be able to have the courage to follow your example and truly "get naked"...Until then I will be content to live vicariously through you and soak up the wisdom in your posts...I love reading your thoughts and I continue to be glad that you have chosen to share your journey. Thanks for being you...raw, emotional, cutting edge, caring, joyous YOU! <3 ~Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, you're eloquent and beautiful. Thanks for always being there to cheer me on.

      Delete