Tuesday, May 29, 2012

What a Feelin'!

On Saturday May 26th at around 5:39 pm, I fulfilled a goal of completing my first 5K competitive race during Ottawa Race Weekend.  According to Sportstats.ca, there were approximately 7953 participants in the 5K event (3044 men & 4906 women).   It was warm outside (about 24 degrees Celsius) and I’m sure that the energy of the crowd bumped the temperature up by a few degrees. 

The start of the 5K run, for the 2012 Ottawa Race Weekend, held in downtown Ottawa, on May 26, 2012.
Photograph by: Jana Chytilova, Ottawa Citizen
Joining me at the event were two of my sisters (Joan and Natalie D.) as well as my new-found running partner, Natalie Y.  These ladies were nothing short of amazing, fun and motivating! I’m grateful to have shared the pavement and this memory with them.  

My sisters and I before the big race!
 
(Numbers, numbers, numbers…  The average time of runners for this race was 35:10.73 so the fact that I placed 4453 with a chip time of 34:24.2 didn’t bother me at all!)

One of the most rewarding parts of taking on this challenge wasn’t only running the race but completing what I started for the betterment of myself.   One of my dearest friends, Sara, recently shared a quote with me from Sophocles which reads, "Success is dependent on effort".   It was practice, support and dedication that brought me to the 5K starting line; it was excitement, strength and H2O that pushed me through to the finish.  All in all this was a fantastic experience and I've already started to focus my training efforts on breaking 30 minutes at the Army Run in September.

If you're in the mood for something a little fun, check out the track below.... Who Run the World?  GIRLS!

I hope you’ll join me on my next epic adventure....






1 comment: