Friday, May 18, 2012

Every Now and Then....






Every now and then, it’s important to focus on what you can do as opposed to what you can’t.

While ignorance may be bliss for some, I now understand and appreciate the value found in seeing people and situations for who and what they really are.  Shielding my eyes from pain, injustice or other hardships hasn’t eradicated them from existence.  I've learned that turning a blind eye is the worst kind of procrastination and it's the roadblock to revolution.  I believe that resistance truly breeds persistence and what we continue to ignore is going to eventually make itself known.  Knowledge is power so arm yourself with it.  Think about how many major events in history have transpired by the simple act or word of one person that cared enough to do something.  The people that have made a positive impact on the world have done so in the pursuit of change not glory, and we all have benefited (in some way) from their example.

Every now and then it’s important to sit back and breathe.

At times I don’t know when to stop thinking, moving, feeling and occasionally speaking.  I’m learning that taking a moment away from the hustle bustle of life is required.  There's so much noise and distraction going on around us that the chance to hear ourselves think can often feel elusive.  We have forgotten that we are often the source of our best insights.  So many of us have placed trust in the fact that someone else knows how to live our lives better than we do.  We read daily horoscopes for direction, we read self-help books for validation, and we pay homage to anyone with the name “Guru” in their title because they must know what’s best, right?  Everything is good in moderation but I think that it’s important to rekindle faith in ourselves.  Create your own “how-to” guidelines for the way you live your life.

Every now and then it’s important to re-assess where you want to go, how you want to get there and who you want along for the ride.

I’ve occasionally found myself a bit mystified with my current station in life.  If anyone had told me 16 years ago that I would one day be married with a toddler at the age of 36, I probably would have laughed out loud in disbelief.  Yet here I type.  There's been some internal conflict  at various times since I’ve settled down between the girl that I was and the woman that I want to be.  This mental and emotional combat placed a lot of stress on my marriage and my psyche. I t turns out that I was suffering from a bad case of "Who Am I"? After a turbulent couple of years, I’ve recently tapped into the soothing relief that can be found in letting go of “what was” in order to be present for “what is”.   I haven’t become complacent by any means but I’ve decided to look at things from a  different perspective that’s in line with what the life that I want to experience.  Where do you see yourself next week, next month or next year?  Do you want to take the scenic route or would you prefer to move onto the fast track?  Who could you not picture your life without and do they want to join you? Maybe the life you want is a solo adventure.  Whatever is “right” for you is right.

Every now and again you need to entertain possibilities.

Is it possible to start a new career path?
Is it possible to find happiness after heartbreak?
Is it possible to be exceptional instead of average?

I’m not sure but I’m willing to find out.  While so many things in our lives are blessings, the gift of free will tops the list for me. Deriving any value from possibility takes work and it also requires conscious progression from the starting line called “possible” to the finishing line of “reality”. You have to ask yourself if you’re willing to roll up your sleeves and dig in.  Are you willing to occasionally take some “bad” in order to get a taste of what’s good?
 
In other words, how badly do you want the shiny new toys, the new found love, the career explosion, the sense of accomplishment or perhaps just the peace of mind?

Dream, create, love, heal, laugh, cry and push past the safe boundaries of what you thought was possible for yourself.  Every now and then you may find more than what you hoped for.

Until next time, friends!






2 comments: