Monday, April 9, 2012

Counting Down!

Time waits for no one.  I don’t know where the last couple of weeks and months have gone!  I’m still training for the Ottawa 5K run coming up in forty days.  That’s right, people, 40 days!  I’m riding the fine line between excited and anxious about this race.  Luckily I’ve armed myself with a few must haves to get me to the starting line (ideally past the finish line) in fine form:

1)      A new title – Joining the Learn to Run Clinic at the Running Room was great for getting me prepped for the race but I still wasn’t convinced that I would show up consistently.  So many excuses creep in when you’re looking for reasons to creep out of something such as a sick child, bad weather, PMS, and the list goes on and on.  To ensure that I could not back out of even one run, I recently volunteered to be one of two Group Leaders!  Every Sunday, Wednesday and Friday until May 26th, I’m helping to get (and keep) people moving while also shouting out the times to start and stop.  It’s an exhilarating, fun way to meet new people and this which makes a great segue for item number 2....

2)      Running Partners – A lot of people enjoy the peace and solitude of the morning run.  While I include myself in that group on occasion, nothing beats the camaraderie that can be found within a duo or a pack of runners.  I’m quickly learning that there’s a motivation for me to push a bit harder and smile a bit more when I run with other people.  The running community is an open and welcoming one that I keep encouraging people to join.  I’m finding more and more reasons to escape to it at least every other day.

3)      Brand new kicks – I no longer make it a priority to try and “look” like a runner.  As far as I’m concerned, anyone that’s spotted moving at a pace higher than a brisk walker can be deemed a runner of some calibre.  With that being said, I’ve had to upgrade from these:


      to these......
      The fact that stylishness came along with comfort and safety was just a plus.  If you’re in the market for new shoes,   I highly recommend visiting a reputable store specializing in running to be fitted correctly.  Anything you can do to avoid potential injuries while training is beneficial!

4)       A Timer – I’ve started training based on a walk/run philosophy and the increments of time running versus walking have been steadily increasing.  Training with a watch that has a timer helps to keep me (and my running group) on top of each completed interval.

There are some other additional imperative things that I’ll be bringing with me on Race Day that weren't mentioned above such as water, a good sports bra, sunscreen, and appropriate seasonal gear for whatever Mother Nature offers up in May.  I just wanted to include a few of my favourites.

I‘m looking forward to writing more posts as the big day closes in about where this journey has taken me.  Please feel free to leave any questions, ideas or feedback and I’ll be happy to respond.
Until next time, friends!

By the way, I’ve been listening to the Noisettes’ track called “Don’t Give Up” to get me primed for my workout.  Warning:  Don’t press play if you like “Easy Listening” J


3 comments:

  1. I am envious!!!...You are doing a GREAT JOB!!! Good for you for pushing past your comfort zone!!! I will get there someday...I am sure that my dog would love to accompany me...Keep up the good work!!! I'll have to get you out someday to my neck of the woods where there are tons of good routes to run! (I currently frequent these routes, however I am only at a brisk walk at this point...need to shed some extra lbs and steal some of your can-do attitude (and get a good sports bra & some suitable running shoes) before I would consider "running" ....lol
    ~Mel~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love for you to join me, Mel! Imagine the chats that we could have while taking in some exercise and fresh air, lol. When you're ready, so am I... Miss ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this point running and talking at the same time are not an option...LOL I will get there...
    ~Mel

    ReplyDelete