Thursday, April 19, 2012

CG Spotlight: Ladies on the Run

"Ability is what you are capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it."
- Lou Holtz

On the days when tying up my shoe laces, getting out the door and putting in a good workout is a challenge, I like to pump myself up with some inspiration.  For some people, inspiration can be found in a song, a quote or something seemingly random to anyone else.  In my case, inspiration can be found through my direct line to some pretty fabulous women who motivate me to “get my sweat on”.   

Last month I had the chance to chat with Nicole Blake about love, life and health.  As I prepare to run the 5K race in May I realized that I could use some insight from a few women that have made running a part of their lifestyle.  The result was a fun Q & A with a couple of women in my circle, Carlene and Laura.  Like so many of us, these beautiful, intelligent and funny ladies-on-the-go lead busy schedules but still make time to honour their health with some good ol’ cardio. 

Carlene Y.

Age: 34

Q: Why do you run?  
A: I started running because I wanted to be more fit.  I think that runners have really sexy fit bodies and I was hoping to achieve that as well.  Accepting that my body is the way that it is and isn't going to change (partly because of frozen yogurt, pizza and pasta)...  I run because it gives me time to completely clear my head.  While I'm running, I'm so focused on my form, my breathing and making it up that hill that all of the stress from work, school and life just disappears.

Q: What is your all time running goal?
A: For a long time, my all time running goal was to complete the Sporting Life 10km Race in Toronto.  My new goal is to complete the GoodLife Half Marathon in Toronto.  With that, it may be better to say that my ALL TIME running goal, is to not give up on my whatever it is I'm working towards.

Q: What’s your" must-have" running item?
A: My "must-have" running item is Burts Bees Chapstick!!  

Q: Which song pumps you up before a race?
A: The best song to pump me up before a race and when I'm starting to get tired is "Where Are You" by Our Lady Peace

Q: What has been your most rewarding running moment?
A: Finishing the Sporting Life 10km in May 2011.  I signed up for the race three times before I worked up the courage to run it.  I was really afraid of failing.  I actually cried a little when I finished.  I was exhausted and so overwhelmed with emotion.

Q: What is one of your favourite quotes of all time? 
A: “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined”. -Thoreau


Laura S.

Age: 37

Q: Why do you run?
A: [I run to] clear my head, de-stress and wave at other runners!

Q: What is your all time running goal?
A: To keep running!

Q: What’s your" must-have" running item?
A: For a race, a Garmin watch but for everyday runs [it would be] music! [I] must also have clothes that don't drive me nuts when running.

Q: Which song pumps you up before a race?
A: Anything [kind of] dance music :)

Q: What is one of your favourite quotes of all time? 
A: "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"- Dr. Seuss

I’m grateful for the thoughts and enthusiasm that these women shared with me and I’m looking forward to the opportunity to run with them in the future.  You know that I’ll be blogging about it!

Are you doing something fabulous that you’d like to share with me?  Drop me a line!  I’d love to hear from you.

Until next time, friends...


No comments:

Post a Comment