Thursday, March 1, 2012

The Women In My Circle

I believe that there is strength that can be found in numbers.  I'm not speaking about the person that has hundreds of ”friends" on Facebook or the person that has millions of dollars and no one to share it with. As far as I’m concerned those numbers don’t matter.

Today I am speaking of the number of people that are close to your heart.  It could be your one dearest confidante or your ten fabulously fun girlfriends, strength can be found in friendship.  

As we step closer to International Women's Day on March 8th, I'm inspired to share my thoughts about a group that’s near and dear to me -- the women in my circle.  These are very special women that I can call at any time and who bring out the best in me. Some of them don’t know each other but they all have played an integral part in my life.  Let me tell you a bit more about them....

The women in my circle are funny.   They remind me to laugh and to not take everything in life so seriously.  Somehow they magically transform a pool of tears into a fit of giggles (or at least a smile).  Thoughts shared by them have often brought random smirks to me days and months after a conversation has transpired.

The women in my circle continue to change and evolve. Their skin covers a wide spectrum of pigment and their ages range from junior to senior but these trivial things do not define them.  Small, large, old, new, single, married, mothers or not the beauty of these friends are found in their differences.  Some have touched my heart and gone along a different path only to come back years later.  I learn all of the time that friendship is about quality and not history.

The women in my circle speak to my face and not around my back.  They have enough confidence in our friendship to know that while I might not always share their perspective, I will come to understand that they speak from a place of love and intended support.

The women in my circle are majestic. To my knowledge none of them have descended from aristocracy but they carry themselves with pride, grace and charm.  Being in their company is an honour and a gift.

The women in my circle know who they are and where they are going.  Sure, they’ve stumbled along the way and may continue to do so.  Who hasn't?  When they fall, they pick themselves up, wipe their tears (as they have done for me so many times) and keep moving forward with determination and purpose.

The women in my circle have answered many of the prayers that have fallen from my mouth. 

I’ve prayed for love and they’ve embraced me;
I’ve prayed for prosperity and they’ve reminded me of what is truly valuable;
I’ve prayed for peace and they’ve helped to ease my mind.

I'm eternally grateful for these amazing women.  When they read this, they won't have to ask if I’m referring to them.  They know who they are.

Until next time, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment