Monday, March 26, 2012

Self-Love: 1 |Self-Doubt: 0

As many of you may be aware, I’ve committed myself to running the 5K for Ottawa Race Weekend on Saturday May 19th, 2012 with my sister, Joan.  The prospect of training for this event initially gave me a jolt of excitement but it also prompted a visit from a couple of old friends of mine, Fear and Self-Doubt.

Challenging myself to try something new like running and “putting myself out there” seemed great in theory but my implementation of said task was leaving a bit to be desired.  Doubt was threatening to overthrow my willpower.   Luckily, a friend of mine recently invited me to join a “Learn to Run” clinic last week and the offer couldn’t have come at a better time. This 10 week course is taught at Running Room locations throughout Canada (and a few stores in the U.S. as well) and is a great intro for newbies such as myself. 

I attended a co-ed class that kicked off on Wednesday March 21, 2012 armed with my water bottle, a pair of new shoes and an open mind.  A couple of years ago the idea of running would have made me balk because I didn’t think that I was good enough for the sport.  I honestly convinced myself that I wasn’t worthy enough to be considered an athlete.  I know differently now.  So many people that I’ve seen running with confidence and grace didn’t start out that way.  Some of them smoked a pack or two a day.  Some had more than just 20 or 50 pounds to shed.  Some of them were fighting depression or stress that seemed far bigger than they could handle.  What brought them to running (while relevant) seems to play a distant second to the power of their decision to lace up … move… and try.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for the ability to overcome adversity.  These unassuming people made the brave choice to lead by example and it’s their dedication to their own well-being that has brought me into training today.  I’m proud to say that after only less than a week in, I think that I may be hooked on pounding the pavement.

I came home after a long day of work today.  It was cold outside (-6 degrees Celsius); I wanted to get into my pyjamas and unwind a bit but I felt a pull to put on my shoes and get outside.  My mind was giving me reasons to be complacent with laziness but my body supplied me with the motivation to be active.  I’m happy to say that my body won out.

Please don’t misunderstand me when I share the virtues of this new adventure.  I don’t consider myself to be better than anyone else or an expert on running for that matter.  I am, however, a supporter of the idea that nothing tried is in fact nothing gained.  It’s with great enthusiasm that I encourage you to try something new today.

Until next time, friends!

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! I trained for the 1/2 marathon twice with the Running Room. It is full of fun, friendly and motivational people. I absolutely loved it!!! I am not participating in Race Weekend this year, but I know you will LOVE it! There is so much energy and excitement that surrounds the weekend - you're going to have a blast and do great! xo

    ReplyDelete