|Food that I prepared to start the week off with a bang!|
"It's better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret."
Jackie Joyner Kersee
I resolved this weekend to work on alleviating unnecessary stress in my life. As a working mother on the constant "go" this could seem like a tall order but I decided to take it step by step. The first area that I started to chip away at is meal planning.
All too often I find myself in a position where it's time to run out the door in the morning only to find that:
- I haven't had breakfast yet
- I didn't make time to pack my lunch and
- The game plan for dinner is still a work in progress.
Taking steps towards a more efficient system was well within my grasp and so I decided to:
- Go to the grocery store and purchase foods that served the nutritional purposes that I wanted to achieve for me and my family this week.
- Reserve about 2-4 hours on one day of the weekend to prepare the food that was bought - This included peeling, chopping, (sometimes) weighing, cooking, portioning and freezing/ refrigerating everything ahead of time. As much whole food as possible!
- Make things fun! Turning on some music and enjoying the process of preparing things was great. Knowing that the time I was putting in would actually save me time in the long run brought a smile to my face.
This is a new endeavour, I can't proclaim success and complete transformation yet but I my “to-do” list has gotten a bit shorter and I have gotten a tad happier about the prospect of simplicity. Creighton Abrams once said, “When eating an elephant take one bite at a time.” I couldn’t agree more. The process might take a bit longer, but it ensures a much less stressful experience.
Until next time, friends....