Monday, March 5, 2012

Preparation is Key to Success

Food that I prepared to start the week off with a bang!

"It's better to look ahead and prepare than to look back and regret."
 Jackie Joyner Kersee

I resolved this weekend to work on alleviating unnecessary stress in my life.  As a working mother on the constant "go" this could seem like a tall order but I decided to take it step by step.  The first area that I started to chip away at is meal planning.

All too often I find myself in a position where it's time to run out the door in the morning only to find that:
  1. I haven't had breakfast yet
  2. I didn't make time to pack my lunch and
  3. The game plan for dinner is still a work in progress.
Taking steps towards a more efficient system was well within my grasp and so I decided to:
  • Go to the grocery store and purchase foods that served the nutritional purposes that I wanted to achieve for me and my family this week.
  • Reserve about 2-4 hours on one day of the weekend to prepare the food that was bought - This included peeling, chopping, (sometimes) weighing, cooking, portioning and freezing/ refrigerating everything ahead of time.  As much whole food as possible!
  • Make things fun! Turning on some music and enjoying the process of preparing things was great.  Knowing that the time I was putting in would actually save me time in the long run brought a smile to my face.
This is a new endeavour, I can't proclaim success and complete transformation yet but I my “to-do” list has gotten a bit shorter and I have gotten a tad happier about the prospect of simplicity.  Creighton Abrams once said, “When eating an elephant take one bite at a time.”  I couldn’t agree more.  The process might take a bit longer, but it ensures a much less stressful experience.

Until next time, friends....

No comments:

Post a Comment