Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Waiting and Other Procrastination Pitfalls



"The most pernicious aspect of procrastination is that it becomes a habit.  We don't just put off our lives today; we put them off until our deathbed."

Never forget:  This very moment, we can change our lives.  There never was a moment, and never will be, when we are without the power to alter our destiny.  This second, we can turn the tables on Resistance.

This second we can sit down and do our work"

~ Steven Pressfield (as written in the War of Art)

These words ring ever so true for me right now.  I've been away from the blogosphere for a few days coping with many things that occasionally come up in an average mother's day like caring for a sick toddler.   Tyson came down with what started as a sniffle last week but quickly evolved into a wicked virus on Saturday morning and I haven't looked back since.  A sick toddler increases laundry, decreases sleep intake and throws many pre-scheduled events out the window (or sets them back significantly).  While nothing is more important than the welfare and well-being of my child, by the time the weekend came to a close I was left feeling depleted and rundown.  

Then I received a text last night with a request to go for a walk.

Not a leisurely stroll but a nice brisk cardio pumping adventure.  It wasn't planned or anything.  A fellow mom that I met through Tyson's daycare called me up at the last minute after our respective kids were set for bed and asked if I wanted to join her.  I was exhausted and relatively uninspired; however the word "yes" escaped my mouth before I had the chance to put this opportunity off.

I'm so happy that I went.

There are so many good things that can to be said about looking Resistance in the eye and indignantly pushing forward.  By the time I returned home my heart was pumping me, my mind was humming and my legs thanked me.  Not because of the calories I burned but because I accomplished something that I could have easily but off until tomorrow.

I’m so glad that I didn’t wait.

What "feel good" thing are you going to accomplish today?

Until next time, friends.....

No comments:

Post a Comment