Monday, February 13, 2012

"Can't" is a Myth

Today I feel compelled to explore the words "can't" and "won't".  I think that so many of us are quick to reach for the word "can't".  It's a comforting go-to word when we experience fear about possibly trying new things or stepping into new situations.  Let's take a look at a few examples, shall we?

  • "I can't pursue a new career path.  I have too many responsibilities to take that kind of risk.  The market is SO unstable..."
  • "I can't quit smoking.  I tried a few times before and not only did I fail... I packed on 20 pounds!"
  • "I can't just say no to chocolate.  I have absolutely no willpower and I need it when I'm stressed out."

I am going to be blunt.  Not only with you, kind reader, but with myself. 

"Can't" is an excuse.

I have used it many times and upon reflection, I have found that "can't" puts us into a tiny box stuffed with a series of other self limiting beliefs.

"Can't" stops your journey before it begins.

"Can't" (for the most part) is a myth.  With very few exceptions, we can do anything.

Now, "won't" on the other hand is a different story for me.  I feel that "won't" has a ring of honesty and truth to it.  When I won't do something, I feel empowered by the fact that I'm exercising my free will and ability to choose.

The word "won't" doesn't always have to have a negative connotation attached to it.  Take the following sentence for example:   "I won't use the word "can't anymore."

I like it.  As a matter of fact, this may be a new mantra of mine....

There are times when I feel that we pigeon-hole our potential to "become" due to our belief systems.  We are so busy identifying the things that can't be done, we have little time to really test and prove the theory.  Nothing tried is nothing gained couldn't ring more true.

We need to start small and give ourselves credit for simply showing up for the life that we've been given.  This morning you may have felt like you couldn't get out of bed but you did.  Celebrate each and every accomplishment.  Each day presents a new opportunity for growth, change and healing.  It's a clean slate and what you decide to do within 24 fast hours creates a blueprint for tomorrow.

Imagine all of the things that CAN be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment