Wednesday, January 18, 2012

You Can't Be What You Can't See....

"You can't be what you can't see..."
(Tag line from "Miss Representation")



I had the opportunity to watch a very powerful documentary last night called "Miss Representation" and I want to shout it's powerful message to anyone that will listen (especially to young women).  It is a labour of love that was created and shared by Jennifer Siebel Newsom after she became a mother for the first time to a baby girl.  She narrates that having a daughter caused her to look at the world with a fresh set of eyes. What she saw around her were disturbing depictions of women in the media which resulted in the deterioration of self-esteem and identity within women (particularly young girls) today.  


I was surprised and disheartened to realize that I have subconsciously  participated in this imbalance of social order. 

  • I've occasionally indulged in watching movies with women starring in stereotypical roles.
  • I've obliviously downloaded songs that promote women as "things" as opposed to people simply because I thought that they had "good beats".
  • I've measured some women (including myself) against society's ruler and have sometimes felt like we have come up short.
  • I've been silent and a bit complacent until now.  In this instance, "Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" just doesn't apply.

I'm so grateful that there are courageous women like Jennifer and many others in the world that have brought attention to such an important issue and the call for change.  It has been a wake up call to action and if you get the chance to watch this amazing piece of work, I hope you feel the same way, too.  For more information check out http://www.missrepresentation.org .

No comments:

Post a Comment