Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I Could've Been A Contender....

I find it really interesting when people talk about all of the things that they could have been at some point in their lives.  It's as though they are reflecting on their lives and giving a eulogy at their own funerals.  The thing is... they are still alive and kicking.  

"Could have been" doesn't apply when you still have time to examine all that you can be.

Pushing past self-imposed limitations can be difficult when you have convinced yourself of all the reasons why you don't deserve success.  I know that I often limit myself due to my circumstances.  For example: "I don't have the time to pursue writing full time because I'm a new working mother" or perhaps "It's not possible for me to pack up and see some of the world when I have so many responsibilities at home".
But I am choosing to move towards what is possible because I don’t have time for regret.  Baby steps are all that’s required when starting out on this journey.

I'm not trying to feign ignorance to the fact that we live in challenging times (especially economically).  These seem to be times when alot of people are feeling a bit hopeless and/ or uncertain.  For me, times like these make me feel restless and hungry for change.  There is a voice in the back of my mind that seems to drone on and on about the reasons why I shouldn't do spontaneous and freestyle things.  It shrills, “What if you fail? What if you lose everything? What if you're not good enough?"

But then there’s a voice in my heart.  It's a faint whisper that says, "You can do anything.  What are you waiting for?  Get out of your own way and just start."

I completely understand why so many people listen that debilitating voice in their mind.  It can be so loud that you can't hear anything else.  But listening to the voice in your heart can help to free you of so many things.  Stress, anger, anxiety, uncertainty and I would even go so far as to say some levels of depression.  I know because I have been there.  The voice in my heart lifted me out of holes in life that prescription medication couldn't reach.

Am I everything that I hoped that I could be in my life?  No. Not yet.  And that's the best part.  As long as I'm breathing and moving, I'm evolving.  One day at a time and one word at a time I am "becoming" and learning to love all of who I am right now.  

I hope that you take some time to nurture and cultivate all of the wonderful things that are possible in your life.

You can be a contender.









No comments:

Post a Comment