Sunday, January 22, 2012

From the Ground Up....

A house must be built on solid foundations if it is to last. The same principle applies to man, otherwise he too will sink back into the soft ground and becomes swallowed up by the world of illusion. ~ Sai Baba

 I had the best conversation today with my Auntie L who currently resides in Etobicoke, ON.  Auntie L is a woman in my life that has always been an example of beauty, grace and wisdom.  Kind of like one of those women that some aspire to be but the bar appears to be set at an intimidating height and seemingly just out of reach.


But it isn’t.

Anyone can achieve greatness if they want it bad enough.  The steps toward said greatness are built upon a solid foundation. 

That revelation alone is what made the conversation so good and rich.  We caught up on family matters, shared a few school girl giggles and discussed some heartfelt insights.  One of which was the importance of a solid foundation in a person’s life.  In an earlier post I brought attention to how negatively women have been represented in many areas of social media.  I was truly upset about the messages that young women and men are receiving online and through the entertainment industry.  After reading my thoughts, my Aunt sent me an insightful email with a different voice and an opposing view.  I read the email; I thought some more and then today I just listened.  Truth be told, I liked what I heard.

Auntie L. reminded me of the importance of having a good and strong foundation in life. When you build your life on a solid foundation, it’s easier to be confident in yourself and your values.  When you stand on a solid foundation, you can’t fall apart.  A strong foundation isn’t exclusive to a specific demographic or social standing.  If you weren’t blessed to have been given one in your childhood, it’s alright.   Anyone can build one (or re-build one) at any time.   To ensure that your foundation is protected from damage caused by unexpected emotional storms and other such circumstances, it is imperative that you only work with quality materials when assembling it such as: quality relationships, positive ethics and values,  faith (whatever that may mean to you), and a constructive standard by which to live by. 

Only you can determine your worth and if others “make you feel bad” it’s only because you let them.  I know this because I had to learn it myself.   Negative people and situations are like carpenter ants and they will slowly erode your foundation. Surround yourself with positive people and keep the energy suckers away.

Thank you, Auntie L., for reminding me of the importance of a solid foundation.  I am forever grateful that you are a part of mine.

Until next time, friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment