Friday, December 16, 2011

T Minus 15 Days..... It's Got Me Thinkin'

I cannot believe that there are only 15 days left to 2010.  It seems like only a little while ago I was making my plan of attack for the new year in my 2009 year end wrap up!  2012 is going to be epic :)  I am so looking forward to moving into new ways of thinking.  I am excited at the prospect of meeting new people and I anxious about all of the changes coming my way (anxious but open).

I am having a really hard time getting into holiday mentality this year.  I'm not feeling particularly "bah humbug" (for lack of a possibly much better word).  It's just that I find this time of year causes several people alot of stress and I think that it's important to have a look at that for a moment.  For the past few days I have been asking the typical question: "So what do you have planned for the holidays?".  More often than not the responses that come back to me reference how much shopping there's left to do, how much food remains to be prepared or how much packing needs to be done for a family vacation. 

When did we lose track of the spirit of giving of ourselves and our time?  Neither puts a huge dent in our wallets but the value within such pursuits exceeds anything that may be contained in a little velvet box.  I stand amongst the population that I am referring to when I say that people have far too much attachment to the "things" in life.  The jewellery, the electronics, the high end brand name clothes, the toys.... all of it.  Don't get me wrong.  Alot of pleasure can be derived when these items are in your possession, but would you function the same if you were stripped of them?  If so, then by all means ENJOY them.  If not, it's time for some personal reflection.

Since becoming a mother, I've had to make some adjustments and do without certain things in order to make other things a higher priority.  No more beauty counter make-up or impulsive clothing purchases for a party.  I'm not trying to write a song of woe-is-me here.  In fact, it's quite the opposite.  The point to my story is that without these things I'm pretty much the same person and more than that, I have survived!  What I have or don't have doesn't need to define me.  When the time comes around where I have the option of being a bit more liberal with my purchases, I will appreciate what I choose to own alot more than I did before.

Going into the new year I am going to make a concerted effort to give more and expect less.  It's going to take focus to ensure that I stay on track but it will be worth the effort.

What kind of goodness are you going to bring into 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment