Sunday, November 6, 2011

If Not Today......



I used to be a writer. I used to lock myself up for hours at a time when I was younger and transport myself to wonderful places through the power of the words that I put on a page. It was a way to express the things that I was too shy to say and too fearful to show.

Whenever I wrote I felt tremendous relief afterwards.  While the situations that I was in still were the same, writing allowed me to feel like I had been heard, even if the only person reading my work was me. There is something to be said about writing as a practice, though.

It takes discipline.
It takes courage.
It takes a leap of faith.

I abandoned a lot of these things years ago and it is my belief now that I can get them back again. Being a first time mom has brought to light things that I think that I would not have been able to hone in on otherwise. I'm not trying to say that motherhood is the only thing that can provide a person with credible insight. What I am saying is that it's the only thing that really showed me how I have been living my life; the good, the bad and (at times) the oh so ugly.

Seeing the world at this stage in my life makes me want to:

...say something.
...do something.
...change somethings.

The written word is the only tool which allows me to do all of these things.

Fingers don't fail me now. We are about to go on an epic adventure through this thing called life. I believe this is going to be the start of something good and nurturing to my soul. I believe that embarking on this journey is going to provide food for thought. I believe that I’m not the only person that has something to say and I look forward to telling their stories as well.

It has been a long time, old friend. Let's pick up where we left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment